No Liquor Store in Te Hana

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition No Liquor Store in Te Hana.

2016-02-21 23:05

I live in area and we don't need another

2016-02-22 05:22

There Is absolutely no need for a bottle shop in Te Haha. Wellsford's has at least three, kaiwaka has a bottle shop and other shops that sell beer and wine, the community does not want one. Listen to them they know

2016-02-22 10:53

We have many in our area already. Not required. This doesnt build communities.

2016-02-22 19:14

I believe the last, and very worst thing, Te Hana needs is a liquor outlet. It provides minimal employment opportunities to the community, increases social problems and ruins the vibe and feeling of a little rural, family village. What kind of image does it send tourists having a liquor outlet on the main road through NZ, next to a cultural centre? BAD idea, please do not allow it.

2016-02-22 20:01

We dont need alcohol sales in our little town

2016-02-22 21:12

Theres no need for a liquor store in te hana. Theres 3 in Wellsford

2016-02-23 01:00

E ngā Manukura, e ngā Whatukura o te Kaunihera o Whangarei, nei rā te rere o te mihi nui ki a koutou. Ka rere te mihi ki a koutou mō tō koutou kaha, tō māia, tō manawanui hoki ki te āta aromatawaitia te take nei arā, ko Local Alcohol Application. Kāore e kore, he tino take whakahirahira tēnei.

This Letter is prepared by Antony Thompson (Practice Leader), for Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua Maori Public Health unit. I thank the convener for the opportunity to provide comment on The Te Hana liquor application and commend the decision to allow the community to have a voice in the matter.

First and foremost, alcohol consumption is not part of tikanga Māori of our tūpuna. Alcohol in Māori society is a part of the process of colonisation that Māori were and continue to be subjected to. Since first contact with British settlers, Māori have expressed concerns about alcohol harm and drinking behaviours. These concerns made up the many that Māori had about British settlement that led to the development of He Whakaputanga in 1835 and later Te Tīriti o Wāitangi. These concerns continued through the 1900s and Māori leaders such as Princess Te Puia led Mārae initiatives to reduce harm from alcohol. Despite this, to this day Māori do not enjoy the same level of health as non- Māori that was guaranteed in Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Regardless, Māori have a right to live, work and play in health endorsing environments. Environments free of exposure to alcohol advertising, sponsorship and alcohol harm.

For these reasons, we support current and further restrictions on alcohol accessibility and availability in Te Hana. We know the burden of alcohol harm falls disproportionately and inequitably on indigenous populations, the young, and those who experience disparities.

Therefore, given Māori health rights and needs combined with the expressed aspirations of Māori communities within Te Tai Tokerau, for greater controls of alcohol in the community, our organisations would like to strongly emphasise the need for The District Licensing Council to continue to prioritise the addressing of inequities when assessing new liquor applications thus constructing options for the reduction of harm from alcohol and ensure that the LAP does all it should reasonably do to reduce harm to Māori via reducing availability of alcohol.

Aligning with Māori rights and needs and data on increased hazardous drinking patterns for Māori (Ministry of Health, 2012), we are supportive that the needs of the local community who primarily are Māori are met.

Density issues and location of the premise is important to us, given disproportionate harm from alcohol to Māori, issues with density must be taken seriously. Research shows the availability of alcohol is related to heavy drinking and alcohol-related harms (Huckle, et al, 2008 and Connor et al, 2011). Violence and other problems are frequently cited as harms associated with changes in outlet density (Babor, et al, 2010). Density of premises have been shown to be strongly associated with greater assaults and violence (Lipton and Gruenwald, 2002; Gruenwald and Remer, 2006). Additionally, density of premises in small neighbouring communities is also positively associated with violence (Gruenwald and Remer, 2006).

Importantly for the high Māori population in Te Taitokerau, recent studies found that density of clubs and bars vs population is significantly positively associated with violent offences, family violence, drug and alcohol offences, property damage, property abuse and antisocial behaviour (Cameron, et al, 2012).

I support the local community and its leaders in the opposition of an off licence application for:
(OFF-19270Kudrat Holdings Limited -Known as Te Hana Liquor Store)

2016-02-23 01:38

Because Te Hana does not need a Liquor outlet,it is to small and also to many problems come with drinking. Everyone in the community need to feel safe,so please do not allow it.

2016-02-23 01:55

With our Maori stats being high from alcohol intact; I DO NOT want another liquour outlet in Te Hana. If anyone was watching TV one night, where this Fijian indian liquour store owner said " they liked having these outlets as the Maori keep them in money as they are the biggest spenders!" That they themselves did not drink.
Team Te Hana

#10 Re:

2016-02-23 20:18

#1: -  

I am a resident and local business operator in Te Hana. For the past 16 years our community have worked hard in addressing all the social issues that our small community faced at that time. Alcohol was a major contributing factor to the down fall of our town. Allowing such activity into our town will set us back and unravel all the good we have done. 

I strongly oppose to this application.  

2016-02-23 23:13

Because there are to many n wellsford already dont need another te hana s a nice place dont need to ruin it with a liquor shop need a pak and save more shopng outlets.

2016-02-24 11:19

Well done...

2016-02-24 18:12

Not required in a small community where a lot of people are on Low incomes and where this area of SH1 is a high accident area

2016-02-25 03:44

Be cause liquor is some thing we can all live with out and the harm it creates is huge as well

2016-04-06 10:32

I see problems with alcohol abuse in my work. It is families who suffer. There are already numerous alcohol outlets in Wellsford, 5 minutes away - already too many places to access alcohol. Having another liquor outlet in Te Hana serves the proprietors finances - it does not serve the families of Te Hana.

2016-04-08 07:29

In 2004 I was appointed to work for the Te Hana Community Development Charitable Trust in order to assist in uplifting Te Hana..My role there was a Kaitaataki o Rohe ( Community Liaison)The Trust and I put together a Community Outcome plan to improve the social cultural,environmental and economical well-being of Te Hana. The Community Outcome Plan had been produced in the light of the background of repeated threats in 2000,,2001 and 2004 from Public Health Authorities,Rodney District Council and NZ Police to evacuate and close down the community of Te Hana because of the unhealthy and potential dangerous living conditions of the local residents.Between 1990=2003 the town had a district wide reputation of having a
1} High resident Maori population
2}Alcohol and drug abuse
3} High unemployment.
4}Crime.
5}Vandalism
5 }Poor housing condition
6)Unsafe potable water and sewerage disposal. and a number of other issues. In 2004 Te Hana had a starring role on TV3's "Filth Files's a town water supply that was making residents sick.In 2001 a study group was set up with Northern RDC Councilors ,Mayor and interested locals to suggest possible solutions to the towns problems.No long term sustainable solutions were forthcoming at that time.
A number of meetings were held with community groups ,individuals'interested parties,Marae beneficiaries,local bodies,organisations in order to determine a positive way forward for the local community. I am totally against a Liquor store in Te Hana . To much work has gone into this community to have another problem arise again . We have already had a young mums life taken in Te Hana . Please please please no liquor store in Te Hana.