please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz

Sophie

/ #80

2015-09-20 20:44

It is a devastating loss and my heart goes out to all family and loved ones effected. However, the possibility of euthanasia as a 'consequence' of the attack is utterly absurd for multiple reasons. Tigers do not have any concept of responsibility or consequence, they are an animal. Secondly, it is in their nature to kill and even the idea of euthanising the animal because of its natural instinct is cruel, Oz did not choose to be placed inside a zoo and should not be punished because of the resulting consequences of putting a wild animal in a cage. Thirdly, Sumatran tigers are critically endangered with only 500 remaining in the wild. To put down one voluntarily because of its nature is again, cruel and could result in significant biological repercussions. Hamilton zoo policy also states that keepers do not enter into the enclosure with the Tigers, either this accident was due to a breach of protocol on the keepers behalf, or there was an escape (in the case of which I will stand corrected) which I find highly unlikely as there has been no mention of it in any report. Again, this is a tragic loss and all we can do is keep the friends and family in our thoughts, yet such a beautiful creature should not have to suffer capital punishment as a consequence.