COS Department exam entrance allowance

Quoted post

#8 Re: Re:

2016-11-11 10:52

#4: Another concerned cs student - Re:  

If you're referring to 284 (Or any other module for that matter), the purple labs in the Informatorium had open access for any students registered for a COS module. Although access to campus was said to be regulated, it was easy to get in and go work in the purple labs.

My point is, no solutions would be ideal in such circumstances, but many students chose to "go on holiday" in this time rather than apply themselves and now they want to complain about not getting exam entrance (Which the majority would not have gotten even if there were classes).

Replies

Obama

#11 Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 11:48:37

#8: - Re: Re:  

Firstly, campus was on total shut down for most of the time and when it was opened, access was regulated in such a manner that no one could have access to it unless they were writing a semester test. I tried going to campus on multiple occassions to work in the Infomatorium but was denied access by the security purely because of the fact that I was not writing a semester test and hence my name was not in the list. It is the same even till this point. Besides that, no student was notified on the fact that the Purple labs are open to work at so everyone was under the impression that no labs are available.

Students did not "go on holiday" but instead, they waited for educational material to be uploaded online so that students could try understand it without proper explainations. Students were mainly left to study from the slides ,which had minimum explainations on the concepts, and were tested with the same standard as if they had been lectured on it.

When it comes to COS284, as far as i recall, some of the online lectures were available for the students a couple of days before the semester tests. You cannot uphold the high standards(40% exam entrance mark) if the students are not given equal opportunities to work on it. And the online learning material for 284 was not uploaded on clickup( and still has not been), which means the students who do not have unlimited access to data could not view the lecturing videos that were on Youtube and so were at a disadvantage.

Practicals and assignments in the COS modules were not made easier(despite the fact that we had no tutors to help us), they were kept to the same difficulty level; the only way the faculty tried to compensate us was by giving us a slight extension.

The other faculties at Tuks understood this issue and gave entrance for all the students.By giving someone exam opportunity, it does not guraantee their module success but it compensates for the fact that the students were in a disadvanted situation this semester. If the Build Environment students from EBIT could get entrance, why can't we get fair treatment?

#14 Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:25:18

#8: - Re: Re:  

Where was it announced that the purple labs were open?? And most of the time they weren't.