INSTITUTE A CURFEW FOR AUCKLAND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition INSTITUTE A CURFEW FOR AUCKLAND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

2014-08-05 06:12

It's very necessary.

2014-08-05 07:07

The noise over our home near Newmarket during the nights in particular is disruptive and has impacted on the quality of my life. I noted all the flights which woke me on Saturday 7 June - Queens Birthday weekend. The first one was at 4.53 followed by 7 more until 8am! We had no noise at night from aircraft until the last couple of years. These flights used to travel over less populated areas of Auckland. That makes sense. Why let them affect tens of thousands more residents living near the city. This was done without any consultation with those affected.

2014-08-05 08:59

It one thing turning all of Auckland into a landing strip during the day. At least stop it during the night and let people have a good night sleep. i would also stop it on the weekend on summer as having a BBQ with planes over your head is not part of the kiwi lifestyle!!!

2014-08-06 11:55

There must be a better way for the planes to fly without disturbing so many residents in Auckland. We can never become the "world's most liveable city" with this terrible noise nuisance which never existed prior to July 2013.

2014-08-06 18:51

I feel very strongly about this petiton, I live in
Glen Eden on a ridge, usually a quiet suburb, now
planes are flying day and night over our roof, and they are loud, waking up on a sunday morning at 4am
to the roar of a jet plane is something that no one asks for, auckland airport think of people before profits
Tranquility seeker

#31 Aircraft noise

2014-08-07 15:23

In Ellerslie, we are directly below three flightpaths.  The jets fly west to east, day and night, beneath which there is a NE-SW two-way daytime procession of very low-flying and very noisy piston-engined planes plying to and from Great Barrier and elsewhere.  The latter route is very busy in summer and the almost relentless interruption of conversation spoils a relaxing afternoon in the garden.  Then there is a not-so-busy SE-NW route for helicopters.   Aircraft on the latter  two routes, which are under cruising power, are forced  to stay close the lowest permissible altitude of 500ft (It's 1000ft over built-up areas in UK and western Europe) because of the incoming jets above them.

Night flights were very rare when we moved here 14 years ago, but now jets pass over at all hours, with clusters of planes around the critical times for sleep disturbance of 11pm to midnight and again around 4am.  Some of these come in fast and loud, deploying air brakes and lift-enhancing surfaces. 

This has to be stopped - it is uncivilised.

2014-08-24 06:00

The planes wake me up so much at night i have to take sleeping tabs every few days to get some sleep, if the planes flew higher it may not be so disruptive

2014-08-26 06:22

I moved to One tree hill for the peace n quite after saving to move from under the runway in Papatoetoe.. So so annoyed, is a kind way to say it..

2014-08-28 05:01

We could also do with routing the Great Barrier Airlines and Waiheke air traffic away from East Auckland too, those planes are very annoying during the summer.
Matt

#35 Re: Aircraft noise

2014-08-28 05:02

#31: Tranquility seeker - Aircraft noise 

I agree 100%. In fact the Great BArrier and Waiheke flights are the ones that annoy me most, every minute at certain times of the day in summer.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2014-09-06 03:53

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-09-06 10:05

2014-09-09 08:56

It is a very good idea.

#39 Big overseas airports manage it

2014-09-11 07:44

It's already been said some of the world's largest cities have curfews, including Tokyo's Narita and Haneda airports.

If much larger population bases and economies can do it, so can we

W.C.

#40 You guys should have let more people know about this...

2014-10-19 04:01

There are only a few departures and arrivals during 11pm - 6am, which are to provide more convenience for travellers in terms of arrival time in destination, departure time at the origins,... However, these late night flights have led to excessive noise impact on the community...

It's Auckland Airport's will to fully utilize the airport during 11pm - 6am, but not ours.

ATPT

#41 Re: You guys should have let more people know about this...

2014-11-01 06:21

#40: W.C. - You guys should have let more people know about this... 

Please spread the word, tweet, facebook WOM, cheers, ATPT.

2014-12-14 08:08

I say Yes to Curfew

M.E.

2015-01-26 08:55

Auckland Anniversary Day and all I can think is - it is far from being a liveable city.  The noise levels are through the roof.  We can't sleep at night.  The planes are so low that the kids get scared.  How is this allowed to happen??

Sick of it all

#44 Boycott

2015-02-22 21:47

Would love to see the airlines scramble to make changes, if we all boycotted the ones whose logos can be read from our homes....

2015-03-17 04:27

Low flying aeroplanes in the middle of the night and early morning are extremely loud and invasive. When curfews exist in other "civilised" countries - why not in Aotearoa too!

#46 Re:

2015-07-29 03:24

#4: -  

Bed?  Doesn't make sense.

#47 Re:

2015-07-29 03:27

#6: -  

This is the mentality of some of you people, making comparisons between MH17 and the routing of arriving and departing aircraft in Auckland's airspace - thanks for the laugh though.

#48 Re: Re: Affecting every residentail suburb instead of the sea and industrial areas

2015-07-29 03:31

#11: Da Vinci - Re: Affecting every residentail suburb instead of the sea and industrial areas 

Crash prone and robot-controlled?  Yet more ignorant opinions from members of the public.

#49 Re:

2015-07-29 03:37

#14: Cicero -  

'Oh, and I forgot to mention, the pilots can now choose WHERE they fly and HOW LOW and LONG they make their trajectories…..24/7.'

Really?

This is news to me, I was always under the impression that aircraft were controlled and routed by air traffic controllers? They are the ones who direct the paths of aircraft to keep them separated from other aircraft who are leaving and arriving in the airspace governing Auckland International Airport?

Your comment only highlights the woeful ignorance displayed by the public where matters of this type are discussed.

#50 Re: Boycott

2015-07-29 03:45

#44: Sick of it all - Boycott 

Why target individual airlines?  Do you actually think it's the pilots/airlines who decide how their aircraft are routed and tracked during the arrival/departure of their aircraft?  Who do you think actually issues instructions as to how each aircraft is routed?

Never heard of air traffic controllers I guess?