return Little Harrowden bench!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition return Little Harrowden bench!.

2015-12-09 21:32

Because I would love it if we could have the same old bench back

2015-12-09 21:37

The resiting of the bench was solely for the benefit of councillors who live nearby, no regard was made to elderly people or long-term villagers who have fond memories of the bench and its donor family

2015-12-09 21:42

Because I am fed up of seeing changes in the village and no one asked and the removal of the bench is the last straw it is a good meeting place for young and old and since all the shops, buses have gone you do not see anyone so put our bench back .

2015-12-09 21:55

No pub, no post office, no shop, what next, to posh for a wmc? 

The church of course ... that will be next, not symbolic of the modern day UK. 

Oh well, Onward Christian soldiers. Good luck with your crusade for The Bench, remember it well.

Is the telephone box still there ? 

#5 Re:

2015-12-09 21:59

#4: -  

The telephone box is still here at the moment!! For how long for....who knows! 

the village

#6 Re: Re:

2015-12-09 22:14

#5: - Re:  

Lmao !!

#7 Re: Re: Re:

2015-12-09 22:19

#6: the village - Re: Re:  

Bet that was you Jane 

2015-12-09 22:49

The bench in the village of Little Harrowden has always been located in the centre of the village and as my whole family have been brought up in the village and still remain in the village to date. As I understand the bench as been removed due to complaints from people in the village that have no connections with the history of the village. By removing the bench you have removed a lot of people's happy memories and a resting place for villagers. Replacing the bench with a flower bed is taking away a big part of the village and one of the only memorises left for past and present local connected people .

2015-12-09 22:59

Amazing how objects can be removed for other people's benefits!!! The bench was there before the new houses, didn't these people see it when they viewed there potential new property!! An utter disgrace in this day and age aren't we meant to bring communities together??!!! Hang your heads in shame Little Harrowden parish council and ask yourselves are in your positions for the good of the village or your own greedy needs.

2015-12-09 23:06

This bench holds fond memories for many people not least the family of its donator. It provides a resting place, a meeting point and is a focal point of village life.
Nette smith

2015-12-10 00:18

Me and my brother and sisters were all born and bought up in the village x the bench was our meeting place our place to grow our place to be with our mates our place that our parents knew where we would be . The bench was put there by a loving family of a very kind lovely gentleman who was a big part of the community the bought that in his memory and was put there by the parish council at the time because they clearly knew it was the right place for it to be x my father now in his 80s still walks albeit not very well but walked to the bench and used it as his stop off point to get his breath and to see people he wouldn't normally be seeing so removing the bench you have taken that away from him , try asking him what his thoughts are try asking any original harrowden people what they think , DO NOT just listen to the complaints from people who have just moved there the bench has been there a lot longer than they have , 

2015-12-10 01:29

I think it's unfair that councillors are making decisions regarding the village without first consulting the people that live here. The bench was the heart of the community and should remain so. I wonder how much money was spent on the hideous looking planter, surely there are better ways to spend the money for the parish.

#13 Re:

2015-12-10 05:33

#8: -  

i for one will be using the flower bed as a bench until its re-enstatement..+ the only complaints were from one of the councillors...i hope councillors living nearby declared an interest and didn't vote on the matter...i wonder if the clerk wrote it down correctly in the notes!!!!!

2015-12-10 06:32

It's insensitive of the PCC to remove a memorial bench that is dedicated to a well respected local citizen.

2015-12-10 06:45

I agree. The bench should not be removed. I myself rested on it many a times. Everyone should have been asked before removing it and if it was in a memory of some one then it should have left it. Its rude to take it away.

2015-12-10 06:57

I grew up in Little Harrowden and have the best childhood memories.

2015-12-10 07:07

I grew up in Little Harrowden and the village Green was always a popular meeting place. The seat as well as being a resting place for weary walkers holds many special chidhood memories.

#18 Old man sitting on the plant pot!

2015-12-10 07:10

absolute disgrace that the heart of our community for generations has been removed and disguarded like it nothing! That has been there my whole life I grew up in this village, that bench was our friends meeting place when out for walks. Also I have personally seen a man resting sitting on your plant pot!!!!! Maybe think about what the people want and need is an idea.   

2015-12-10 08:10

As this is. Memorial bench what right does the parish council have to remove it how disrespectful. Also this bench is actively used
madge

#20 park bench

2015-12-10 08:18

disgusting who do these people think they are needs to be put right and that means putting back the bench and apoliges to all the people they have up set !!!!

Richard Lewis

2015-12-10 09:12

What? The bench was a fundamental part of village life! No-one from little Harrowden would ever have agreed to it's removal surely? 

Many happy memories associated with that bench, it was a part of our childhood for so many villagers.

Although I have been priced out of buying a house there, I still feel that little Harrowden is my true home. I'm gutted that this last meeting point in the village has now been removed.

Adam

2015-12-10 09:43

Every time I come back to visit family, another part of the village's character seems to have been removed. It appears to be a symptom of the changing priorities of people moving into the village. London commuters with no ties to the village don't use the shops or pubs and don't need local bus services, but they do care about house prices. I sincerely hope that this apparent "gentrification" of the village green has not been done to serve those for whom house prices are of greater concern than community.

Little Harrowden was not a great place to grow up because it looked pretty or because everyone was propery rich. It was a great place to grow up because of the community, a great deal of which centred around that bench...

2015-12-10 11:51

Who gives anyone the right to remove a bench in a village which is used by everyone..... It's a memorial!

2015-12-10 12:40

did anyone consult village people about the removal of the seat....?

#25 Re:

2015-12-10 12:43

#8: -  

The flower bed will probably be used as a rubbish bin ....