Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus

Tuiloma Lina Samu

/ #216 We have 108 liquor licenese outlets in our Mangere-Otahuhu Ward area in Auckland!

2014-06-24 00:30

35 in Otahuhu and 73 in Mangere!

Our Mangere-Otahuhu Local Board is leading the way in being against this license especially since it's across from Southern Cross Campus, Te Kura Kaupapa o Nga Tapuwae and a Vagahau Niue pre-school. Thanks to Chairperson Lydia Sosene, Nick Bakulich, Togiatolu Walter Togiamua, Leau Peter Skelton, Tafuna'i Tasi Tauese, Christine O'Brien and Deputy Chair Carrol Elliott. These elected representatives of ours who live in Mangere and Otahuhu care. Those who made the decision from the District Licensing Committee i.e. Gavin Thompson, Gwen Bull and Gary Holmes are NOT elected representatives! They do not live in our community. They don't give a stuff about the local community especially the 1500-2000 young people who go to these schools and their families and the impacts that this liquor store will have on them and the entire local community! They do care about upholding the business owners' rights though!

I do not object to alcohol being sold in shops. I do however object to alcohol being sold in a highly visible shop across from schools 5 m from the school gate and I do object to there being 108 licensed liquor outlets - 35 in Otahuhu and 73 in Mangere with more in the pipeline to come!