NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

/ #43

2016-09-27 07:46

I am currently a final year B. Pharm (Pharmacy) student at NMMU. I have to do my internship next year (2017) and many of my fellow students already signed contracts with pharmacies to do theirs. Bursary givers also expect students to start working back their years of study, starting next year, as we claimed that we will be completing our studies in 2016. I am in receipt of a bursary myself, a bursary that will not provide me with any more funds again next year as this is, as mentioned, my final year. I am not from PE and thus I have to rent a flat during the course of my studies. If I have to stay in PE next year to complete my studies, I will not have the bursary to cover me anymore and I will not be earning a salary from my internship as I was supposed to, as I cannot do my internship without my degree. That means that my parents have to pay my rent as well as provide me with money for essentials, which they don't have the money to do, hence my initial need for the bursary I received. Most of my course theory is also completed. I have about half a month's worth of lectures left (if that many), the rest are all tests. Meaning that I am basically done with everything I have to learn to receive my degree, yet I am prevented from writing my test to get it finalised. So close, yet now, so far. I cannot waste 6 months for a month's worth of work. The reason why I came to university is because I have ambitions and a future planned, none of which are achieved by sitting and doing nothing. It is not only 6 months of studies, it is 6 months of my whole life. I worled EXTREMELY hard during the past four years, not to wait for my degree due to a handful of people taking away my human right to education, but to be a working pharmacist beginning of 2017. I understand that educational costs are a huge problem, but you cannot put a person's life on hold indefinitely...