Wattpad Mature Writers

(THE) Shannyeight

/ #54

2012-05-03 01:30

Wattpad says and claims for all intents and purposes to be a site where people can read unlimited stories, but I noticed not too shortly after I joined amongst all the (blah) versions of harry potter/twilight/hunger game fan fics, that Wattpad started to cater its services mainly toward a younger audience- in order to compete with facebook, twitter, and that other zilla writing website(that ISNT really a writers' website)...in other words, Wattpad wants to be a social website disguised as a writing website. Yes, they have ratings for their stories, but what's the purpose of having an "R" rating, if you hide/prohibit access to all the stories that are written with under its guidelines. In other words, if you want your work to get wide exposure, then it CANT be rated-R. They claim the site is for EVERYONE, but they cater to the younger audiences that frequent the site, instead of being the "unlimited" stories site they say themselves to be. Wattpad is in a position where they can be something greater- a vehicle that could discover more writers, but its like they've made their decision to play it safe, and bandwagon ride on all the stuff that made other "writing" websites unbearable. I have been a firm believer in them redrafting their policies on mature stories and R-rated material- not all R-rated stories have gratuitous sex scenes in them...for me there is a big gap between appropriate R-rated material and "erotica"- I dont just write about sex all the time. A lot of my stories have very compelling plots- the only thing that makes mine R-rated, is that my stories tend to deal with real life/adult type situations...that's what I do- I write reality.