Say no to alcohol next to Southern Cross Campus

Quoted post

RS xSaiyaNx

2014-06-18 06:04

We really need to get off he licensing authorities back, they have guidelines to follow and i guess if an application passes then we as a community have to hold that! What i mean is we cant use kids as an excuse. Everybody needs to take a chill pill. There's is nothing wrong with alcohol. It's the certain consumers that we must be weary of. You don't want your kids to be subjected to a liquor store? Well if he/she even thinks of going into one before the time is right whoop his/her's ass. It's easy to point he finger at the drink but we fail to see that it is the consumer. Liquor store owners trying to make a living like the rest of us. Can't hate on that.

Check yourself Mangere!!!

Replies

#134 Re:

2014-06-18 07:31:37

#131: RS xSaiyaNx -

Actually I disagree. Although I understand what you are trying to say, I think there us a larger context to look at. This idea of responsibility  is a pervading neo-liberal thought that places responsibility soley on individuals and there are larger social determinants at play which  low decile areas and families are subjected to. It is a very economical decision when it comes to setting up liquor stores. This is only an 'off license" premise. ( eg supermarkets, dairies and liquor stores). It does not include the on license premises like bars, restaurants, nightclubs, pubs and sports clubs that also sell alcohol, so when we look at the density and availability of alcohol in South Auckland we can see how access is vastly different to many other regions in the city.

This is not a good decision by people who are in positions of power that have ethical responsibilities to consider when giving licenses. Recommendations were made by a public health doctor, a public health unit and also a licensing inspector, not to extend this license because of the close proximity to the school, along with objections from the local board, community and school itself. These people are experts in their fields and also in their communities.  For their recommendations to be ignored, means the decision to grant the extended license is very questionable. It is not acceptable to assume the community does not care and to then go ahead and make the decision, when half the community was not aware of the process and the ability to make a submission. This process needs to be more out in the open - meaning the community actually has to really know about it, not some small add at the back of the Manukau Courier. And there needs to be a limit on the number of places that alcohol can be purchased. Violence and crime are linked to alcohol. Society does not want violence and crime, but so easily hands over the tools that help cultivate it. It must stop and South Auckland must have a voice in the process of the decision to feed the community these tools. We are allowed to say no. Because every other place in New Zealand has that right and exercises that right. Our kids, our future, our neighborhood. All the best.