Save Miramar Golf Club's existing Front 9…
As loyal, long-time members of the Miramar Golf Club, many of us have major concerns and reservations about the future of our club.
To remind you of where things were at, please refer to this link regarding the Proposed Course Alterations presented to members back in September 2022 https://youtu.be/rWUCrlbrD2Y.
The big changes to the Course at the time were to reduce the front 9 from 2990m down to 2500m, removal of the existing 8th and 9th holes for the inclusion of a 250m Driving Range, Enlarged Practice Green, and a 6-hole Par 3 Course. There is no provision for members to play 18 holes or any plans for additional tee blocks.
Regarding the Clubhouse, you would have received recent updates from the Club essentially showing the Proposed 90 seat Ground Floor Café with Outdoor Seating, and the relocated Starter area. It is assumed that the remainder of the Clubhouse proposal has not changed since presented in September 2022.
Indeed, I believe the only significant changes since these presentations, and as voted on at the AGM to investigate feasibility, is that the original 6-hole par 3 course is now to become a 9-hole par 3 and the driving range will become shorter than the 250m originally proposed, down the current 8th fairway, maybe 190m maximum or even less?
9 months on and finally in the last 3 weeks we have received two updates showing nothing really has been confirmed yet and that the Board is also now waiting on WIAL to provide their proposal by the end of June!
Therefore, I ask that you the members, who have similar reservations, show your support by signing this petition.
WHAT WE WANT
- Maintain existing Front 9 (2,990m) to ensure all MGC Members have the option to play either 9 holes or 18 holes on a truly competitive course with multiple tee and pin position options.
- Potential to remain an inter-club competition course like other 9-hole courses within Golf Wellington.
- Allowing for all current 9 Hole and 18 Hole members to play and share all of the course and facilities.
- Consideration of a Driving Range where its size will not compromise the original front nine and where the projected return is commensurate with the business risk.
- New featured golf practice facilities including putting and chipping areas with provision indoors for virtual golf.
- Improved Clubhouse Facilities including Seismic Upgrade, Improved Weathertightness, General Refurbishment (including golf simulators), however not to the extent that the current Option 2 Concept is considering.
- Keeping the MGC Club focused on Members and maintaining our right of access through WIAL land.
- Access to other Clubs in the Wellington Region for both personal and possible inter-club use with fee structures which make this option feasible for all MGC Members.
- Invest remaining monies in ventures with a much lower chance of failure, to achieve projected returns than those proposed or where the investment return is more certain.
There has been much discussion amongst members about the proposed transition concepts. Many are not happy - it is time to let our Elected Board know that you also feel the same way.
Mike Hinton Contact the author of the petition