Change name to Te Hāwera High School - Opposing the name Te Paepae o Aotea
Tēnā koutou katoa
We are direct Tangata W'enua deacendants of Tangahoe/Taangahoe/Tongahoe/Taangaahoe/Tanga'oi.(Which ever reasonates).
We are opposing the new name offered for the Hawera High school - Te Paepae o Aotea.
History of Te Hāwera
Britannica Informarion 1870
Hāwera, town, southwestern North Island, NZ. The original settlement, situated on the east Waimate Plain 2 miles (3 km) from the coast of South Taranaki Bight of the Tasman Sea grew around a blockhouse built in 1870 for protection from hostile MāoriThe settlement became a borough in 1882, and in the late 1970s the borough was amalgamated with the surrounding county to form a district. The name, a Māori word meaning “burned place,” refers to a tale of intertribal warfare.
South Taranaki District Council Info
Hāwera has always seemed to have had, during the early history of the town, some association with fire.
The name ‘Te Hāwera’, which means ‘the burnt place’, came about many years ago following an incident between two feuding Māori tribes in the area. One tribe surprised another in the dead of night and burned the village to the ground ensuring that there were no survivors and so the area became known as ‘the burnt place’.
With the arrival of the European settlers the name came into use simply as Hawera and the district continued to live up to its name. In 1884 a hotel was razed, July 5 1888 saw another large fire when five business premises were destroyed and in 1912 a particularly disastrous fire razed a large portion of the main street area. This event had the effect of causing insurance companies to demand an improved fire fighting capacity as an alternative to increased premiums. At the time it was deemed not possible to increase the water pressure from the gravity supplied system from the Kāpuni Stream and the outcome after many conferences was a decision to build a water tower.
When Arthur William Gillies took office as Mayor of Hāwera in 1912 following the disastourous fire of the Central hotel and McGruer and Bone’s store in High Street, he had already examined the possible sites of the proposed water tower and only one satisfied him. It was owned by the Post and Telegraph Department who was reluctant to sell.
On the 2nd of October 1912 Mr Gillies was able to announce that the building of a water tower was to go ahead on the chosen site and almost immediately the borough Engineer Mr JC Cameron with the assistance of the Borough Council staff set about putting the concrete groundwork in place.
Mr Cameron designed the structure which was completed in January 1914. However, later in the same month, a sudden earthquake caused the tower to list 2 feet 6 inches toward the south.
National Library - Pastpapers Informarion
BUILT IN 1875
¥n .connection with the date of the establishment of the Hawera School, Mr. G. Syrae, senr., in a conversation with Mr. Harding, stated that he. in Hawera just before Efow Year of 1875. He was then working for Mr. Thomas North, building contractor, and had just completed building the school at Manutahi. Mr. North had secured the contract for 'building the school at Hawera, and lie asked Mr. to take charge of the job for him, which he did. Mr. Syme states that he completed the Trailding of 'the Hawera School at the beginning of May, 1875. This wa« tijhe first TmiKKng he erected in Hawera. Shortly afterwards Mr. Byrne, on his own account, secured the contract for the Manaia and Normanby schools, which he undertook and earfijed -through, succstssfully.
Univesity of Canterbury Infomation:
The school's history began as a primary school in 1875, which was reformed as a district high school in 1901. In 1919, the school was again changed, this time as a technical school, with an opening roll of 180 students. The school moved from its original site in Princes Street to a new base in Camberwell Road two years later. The school had a roll of around 400 by the outbreak of World War II. The roll continued to grow in the post-war years, reaching a peak of over 1000 in the early 1970s. The current roll sits between 720 and 750 students.
Alexander Turnbull Library Information
Hawera Technical High School, Hawera, Taranaki region
Changing the name to Te Paepae o Aotea, does not include Tanagta W'enua who did not come from a Waka or Immigeants (those who came by Waka, Plane/European boats) within the Soutb Taranaki district.
Suggestion of name - TE HĀWERA HIGH SCHOOL
🦉INDIGENOUS NATIVE O TANGA'OE
Eugenia Te Ngeru Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|