Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-21 03:21

My mom is dementia diagnosed! My step daughters have their mom with shitsophrenia who is at the level of a four year old! My god how can people like that be over looked! What kind of society close their door to mental problems! Just because you don't see with your eyes what the problem is! What do you need to see? Blood?

2014-10-21 03:32

Our kids can't just be trained to travel on their own. They don't have the judgement capacity and can't react properly to new situations, wich can occur at any moment. They have to be constantly supervised.

#178 Re:

2014-10-21 04:26

#126: -  

Well said...totally agree!

Choose a nickname

#179 Shameful

2014-10-21 12:21

People with mental disabilities always get the short end of the stick because they "look Okay" .  This is not okay for current rides  and future riders of Handi Transit because hey rely on this service to try to lead a normal life beyond all the obstucles that have been given in their lives.  This is shameful. 

2014-10-21 13:16

The mental and physical abilities should both be determining factors. Clearly the city got this wrong and needs to make it right!

2014-10-21 13:45

Each individual has the right to this service. Some severe, some not as much. A disability is a disability regardless. Just sad how they picK and chose now ;(

2014-10-21 14:31

This city is going backwards! everyone has rights, some people need our support to get them. Chris

2014-10-21 19:52

Mental illness is a very serious illness. Discrimination at its' worst here.

2014-10-21 21:18

I was under the impression that all public places and so on had to be handicap accessible to serve the needy!

2014-10-21 23:49

The city should be ashamed to deny handi-transit for these people that can't defend themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-10-22 00:59

That is disgusting to make vulnerable people take public transit. you should be ashamed of your selves. You are taking away independence, livelihoods and making already stressed families past their limits. The public transit does not drop people off at their doors and make sure they get in. How do you expect someone with mental limitations to find their way home, not be taken advantaged of. Oh I guess you just don't care. Too bad you have no heart and expect folks to stay home, to suffer and have hard times. This will have more impact on town mental health budgets then helping people get to jobs, appointments and hopefully social outings (Which you are probably to cheap to allow anyway.) This could lead to higher depression rates, hospital stays, loss of jobs, and education for both the people relying on the services and their families, if they have families that can help them. This is one of the most appalling things I have ready this week.

2014-10-22 02:04

Bus drivers will have to take some training since they are dealing with individuals who have special needs.

2014-10-22 12:40

“The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members” – Ghandi

Well Sudbury, then, is now treating its most marginalised members (the developmentally challenged)in the most unfair and discriminatory fashion; in a matter that does not live up to Ontario's provincial accessibility standards.

2014-10-22 14:01

In this day and age, with what we know and the resources we have available we should be moving forwards not backwards. People who need assistance deserve to get it so that they can be safe while still maintaining a satisfactory quality of life. To take that away is beyond cruel

2014-10-23 17:49

Obviously how can they separate disability in this form? Next we will have them walking the streets lost like give your heads a shake and priorities on were the money is going. Again cut back on high paying jobs in the government and paid extra holidays hotels and transportation and see how they react to this? urg so discusted with this. And I don't even have a disabled child nor relative that takes one. But I do see who uses it and need to use it. Omg Im discusted at this moment.

2014-10-23 18:49

Discriminatory and unconstitutional

2014-10-23 22:33

I cannot believe what I just read. This is not acceptable, it's embarrassing to be in a City that actually made a decision like this.
I feel sorry for this young man who obviously needs the transit bus!!! reverse your decision!!

2014-10-24 23:39

Greater city of Sudbury should be ashamed

2014-10-25 15:49

How ignorant are these people to the noted afflictions? Who in their right mind does not see mental illness, alzheimer's, autism etc. as a challenge. Do they honestly expect these individuals to take a regular transit bus when, in some cases, they don't know where they are or their name for pete sakes. Give your head a shake and do some research.

2014-10-26 01:22

I work with adults with under develop mental disorders and this is insanity to me...because they are not physically disabled?? They deal with discrimination on a daily basis, the last thing they need is a organization that is suppose to be there to support and help them, turning their backs on them.

#196 Truly Disgusted

2014-10-26 12:18

So the city is willing to pay to run these day programs, but not willing to pick up the clients who actually use them?  Who is running this city?!  We have a little thing known as human rights!  You wouldn't send a preschooler to school on a city bus unattended! How many people have to go missing before they realize what an immoral and discriminative decision this is?  How about we take care of what really matters first, EACH OTHER, rather than spending millions of dollars in bombing another country!

2014-11-01 16:15

Disabilities are not just visible and it should not be just physical abilities that are tested in order to determine who's eligible or not!
sickened taxpayor

2014-11-02 00:25

As an honest taxpaying lawabiding citizen, it makes me nauseous that the "Do good" organizations are not recognizing this basic need. In order for 

some of these individuals to go to their rehab, their place of work, or just an outing, they and their families are forced to petition or beg for this service, while I see daily, the abuse of the ODS Program (ODSP) and the ODB Welfare Program. What has been done and what is being done to stop the fraud that is being perpetrated daily via these two programs? The constant draining of funds from these provincially run organizations will obviously have a detrimental effect on programs that serve the greater good.

2014-11-04 01:56

Its stupid that someone with mental illness can't qualify for handi transit. Never mind let alone having themselves a hard time taking public transit.

2014-11-17 17:35

Handi-Transit needs to supply all of the greater city of sudbury. Presently they have an boundary which leaves people out of this service. This is discriminating because of where we live now.