Bring Back our Coast Guard Communication Centers

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Bring Back our Coast Guard Communication Centers.

Anonymous

2015-10-29 14:34

Because I live on the ocean. My partner is a commercial fisherman, who works on the water. We need to have our safety net here where there is no security in the ocean's habit.

2015-10-29 15:38

We need the MCTS centers on our coast. They were located where they are many years ago for reasons. We have had 10 deaths and one lost soul since the closure of the Tofino MCTS (Ucluelet Center). We face black outs, crappy communications, operators with not enough local knowledge, I could go on. PLEASE BRING BACK THE STATION IN UCLUELET!

2015-10-29 23:00

Because we NEED our coastguard back to save lives!

2015-10-29 23:19

The latest tragedy was just the most recent. We need ears close to the water WHERE we live- not hundreds and hundreds of miles away. The equipment is still in the station in Ucluelet- give us our coast guard back!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-10-30 01:26

2015-10-30 02:55

I live in a coastal community, Ucluelet, and we need more Coast Guard for safety at sea. Our town has been hit hard with the closure of town's Coast Guard, who was a major employer here.

2015-10-30 03:00

I live here, and am shocked that we have lost so many people in the waters, and that the lighthouse coast guard has been replaced with a cardboard sign that has emergency numbers tacked to a tree, and a life ring on a pole. Good luck with anyone trying to get help if they fall. Not to mention boating saftey. How are people supposed to  be safe here? We need the coast guard here in our area. If it were not for the Local First Nations in this most recent accident, everyone would likely have perished waiting for help that would take far too long to come.

2015-10-30 14:23

Yes we need our coast guards because lives matter

2015-10-30 15:19

To save more lives.... Bottom line...I understand the Native community
Did everything than can, and I thank them for that,but they are not trained like the coast guard.

2015-10-30 15:46

There should be a vessel and a station on the west coast of Vancouver Island for sure!  The station was opened and families/workers moved into Ucluelet when I was in high school.  There must have been a reason for the government of the day to have put this vital service on the west coast.  Our most recent government cut so many services that were vital to the people of Canada.  I think in this petition we must be clear about what we are asking for.  Vessels or station or both?

2015-10-30 16:53

As kayakers we rely on high quality weather information. Also, while we carefully plan our short expeditions with a lot of "what if" equipment and supplies, we may one day need help in a hurry.

2015-10-30 19:10

This issue is affecting a very old friend and her familty and i know first hand what the weather can do in this area i fear for the comunity. And the people who depend on the fishing etc... Could it have prevented the tragety. On the weekend?

2015-10-31 00:08

I have lived on the West Coast of Vancouver island for years. I lived in Ucluelet for almost 10 years and watched the disintegration of our local Coast Guard. Already we have lost boats and lives and yet we continue to fight for what is right. How many more lives must be lost and how many more families must be ruined? SOS!!!

2015-10-31 00:51

All for manned coast guard stations and communications stations and relay bases.
But Perhaps the navy should also play a bigger roll in search and rescue and enforcement on the coast, the government needs to re evaluate and protect our waters and people closer to home

2015-10-31 01:14

I am a Vancouver Island, born & raised person. Our coast is so rugged, so special & unique. Ucluelet area & harbour is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific!! Surely the powers that be should recognize that we need Immediate action whenever a disaster occurs. Thank Heavens for the local Ahousat residents, plus all the locals from Ukee & Tofino who respond in a minute!!
Being back our Coastguard.

2015-10-31 01:15

Both my sons work in the fishing industry. One as a guide and one as a commercial fisherman. My husband works as a logger and leaves to camp
From Campbell river or port McNeil by boat every two weeks. I value their lives And need to know they are as safe as possible! Don't sacrifice any more lives for $$$$$$!!!! Area , people, workers, tourists , everyone deserves equal Safety .  As someone mentioned tne recent tragedy in tofino is a prime example of what can happen so quickly!   I apprecaite all the help the community supported and I know they too saved lives . However coast Gaurd knows best !!!! These people are trained for this. Lets not send plumbers to do an electricians job ;). No dis Respect meant!  I value all the help...but we have to be united! 

Amen !!!

#17 Re:

2015-10-31 01:28

#4: -  

2015-10-31 02:33

I lived at the coast when the coast guard was active, and knew of many rescues-- it is a much needed service and so sad that they were taken out of so many areas. Make Cuts elsewhere but not where people's lives are in jeopardy.

2015-10-31 20:31

To save lives

2015-11-01 00:22

Since the harper regime's massive cutbacks on the coastal coastguard communication centers it was / is only a matter of time before their loss was felt

2015-11-03 01:54

I have friends and family that work in those areas and grew up on the lower mainland. It would also create jobs in the area and jobs help the economy.

2015-11-03 03:10

Lives are in danger by centalizing Coast Guard communications. Someone in Victoria for example may not be able to receive a communication from a boater in distress in Campbell River unless someone relays. And even if the relay was successful, the person on the receiving end may not know the local area enough to direct JRCC

2015-11-06 23:19

As a country we need to build a strong coast guard.

2015-11-11 00:11

We are an island surrounded by water, there are lots of pleasure craft, fishing vessels and Cruise ships navigating the waters between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Also we are on an earthquake fault. Our Coast Guard are highly skilled people if anything should happen in either of these scenarios.

2015-11-12 00:56

I signed this as this something that is very important and is needed