PETITION TO SIDNEY TOWN COUNCIL RE: GATEWAY PROJECT

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition PETITION TO SIDNEY TOWN COUNCIL RE: GATEWAY PROJECT.

2016-08-05 17:51

We do NOT need two malls (Gateway and Sandown) to take away business from downtown Sidney and create severe, perpetual traffic problems. What we need is a revitalisation of downtown Sidney.

2016-08-06 01:17

I signed up because I think it would be a big mistake to have stores on both sides of the highway. It will ruin our great small town. Why not put housing over there like it used to be or some other non commercial stuff. I know there is the scare of having a plane land on the houses, but there are houses all around the airport. No to Gateway. and I voted for Steve Price.

2016-08-06 06:45

The interchange and highway traffic flow through Sidney has been damaging downtown and greater Sidney for 35 years. Gateway seeks to make it all worse. Even the overpass is proposed to serve Gateway rather than the community residents. Sidney should press the province for a community oriented restructuring of transit & transportation. Economical Housing and community services should be the focus of local elected officials, not the promotion & development of mini malls.

2016-08-06 20:39

I love Sidney because it is an nice little town with everything within walking distance. So many small towns have no centre, they are made up of a bunch of separated mall. example... Brentwood, Langford, Colwood.

2016-08-08 19:34

History has not been kind to local shops when the "mall" large or small moves in. The smaller shops cannot compete effectively nor provide the easy on site parking that a mall can. We have far too many vacant commercial spaces on Beacon already.

2016-08-09 18:49

Sidney Gateway will add 70,000 sq. ft of retail to the already approved Sandown Commons at 130,000 sq. ft of retail = 200,000 sq. ft of retail which is 50% of the existing retail in downtown Sidney. The result can only be a disaster for our downtown.

Willie the wisp

#7 PETITION TO SIDNEY TOWN COUNCIL RE: GATEWAY PROJECT

2016-08-14 15:20

As far as I'm concerned the petition doesn't go to it natural conclusion of demanding that Town Council abandon the outrageous concept of a Gateway mall and to cease all further discussion on the issue. There are far more important things to focus on. And a far more appropriate use of those "Airport lands" would be to situate any new community safety buildings on the lands across the highway - thus affording greater ease to the mainstream roads into Sidney (either side of the highway) rather than in a residential area. And such usage would have no need for another monstrosity known as a pedestrian overpass.

A public referendum on this issue is needed to stop Councils attempt to saddle residents with a $10 Million debt. If taxpayers are expected to pay for such - then we must be given a clear and easy means of putting a stop to such silliness; since Council doesn't seem interested in listening to residents views.

Does recall legislation apply to mayors and town councils?

2016-08-24 17:05

I would prefer that the VAA land be used for light industrial or tourism. Please do not rezone the VAA land to allow yet another old school strip mall. Yes, I have seen the plans.  And no I do not think this mall will be of benefit to the retail sector in Sidney.  I would prefer to see Sandown rather than Gateway. And hope that Sandown would have a more Maddick's Farm type look rather than that of a box store mall. It's time to focus on Sidney's downtown core! Let's improve the offering from the current expensive and tourist type retail and add some family oriented clothing and shoe stores that young locals can afford. Having raised two children in Sidney, I have always felt that Sidney lacked this type of retail.  Also, the traffic at the intersection on Pat Bay and Beacon has become extremely busy and dangerous and will only get more so.  Having ridden my bike to work for years I can tell you that this intersection is one scary place to stand waiting for the light to change from north to south. I now avoid it at all costs. Too bad because I found the bike path a quick method of getting to work. I prefer to remain alive!  The proposed pedestrian overpass will do nothing to assit with crossing from North to South or South to North!

2016-09-02 05:48

I am definitely against the proposed Gateway mall that will only serve the interests and alterior motives of a few, certainly not for the majority of people in Sidney. To the mayor and councillors - just whose side are you on?  Not Sidney's!  What part of NO don't you understand?  YES to a referendum and YES to a recall of the mayor and councillors!

2016-09-12 03:13

Strong emotional feeling against implementation of an ill-conceived project by a local government.