Central Maui Regional Park

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Central Maui Regional Park.

2014-03-21 05:04

IM FULLY WITH THIS PETITION,AS A HOMEOWNER ON ANAMULI ST.I TRUELY DON'T WANT A BALLFIELD, RIGHT BEHIND, MY BACK FENCE WITH BRIGHT LIGHTS AND CROWDS YELLING AND SCREAMING.I THINK A WALKING PARK WILL SUIT THAT AREA BETTER.I FEEL IT WILL SURELY RUIN OUR QUALITY OF LIFE,AND OUR PROPERTY VALUES.WERE ALL FOR A BALL AND SOCCER FIELDS, WE THINK IT SHOULD BE FURTHER SOUTH ACCROSS WAIKO ROAD.

2014-03-21 18:07

I was disappointed a playground or even just walking paths were nowhere on the proposed plan. Sports fields have their place and would be a great benefit, but this park needs to be thought out more to enhance Central Maui instead of being a nuisance to its immediate neighbors. There is plenty of land to work with, please move those bright lights a little farther away from our homes and give the people in Central Maui something everyone can use. -Lisa Porter

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-03-24 06:43

guest maui lani resident

#4 opposed to park

2014-03-24 06:45

I am equally disappointed. No walking paths, no trails, no play grounds. There is already a large sports complex nearby with baseball fields and soccer fields that is not being utilized by the city now. Additionally the lighting and parking lot encroaches on our neighborhood. Like many of these parks initially are kept up but eventually become run down and become havens for youth gangs and drugs. Not only am I against the location but against a park altogether. Maui County has a pretty poor track record in keeping up existing projects. Leave the space as is. If the county really feels the need to develop then a few walking trails, dog park, and green space for family is more than suffice. Keep our neighborhoods clean--Dr. Jared Schmitz
WillZoe&Ash

#5 Not another sports fields!

2014-03-24 08:47

We don't need another sports field that will bring low value to all our properties. Sports fields will attract more noise, drugs and gangs. I am very disappointed with the Maui County for not putting more thoughts into what this community needs. Walking trails, green spaces and most of all a DOG PARK. These are the people that will use the park most especially the dog owners that wants to take their dogs and children for a walk. There is not a gym near by, it would be nice if the county will create a park that has an outdoor Fitness Zone such as children’s playground, family fitness and intergenerational play to promote health and wellness. Sports fields only caters to certain people but not majority of what the community needs. I always take my dogs to Keopuolani Park and I hardly see people playing sports in the field. I see more people utilizing the dog park and walking up and down the trails. What a waste of space when they could have expand the dog park. The state encourages to rescue more pets in the shelter but little the state do to make it easier for people to adopt them. Build us a bigger DOG PARK, intergenerational playground for children and an outdoor fitness zone so we can live a healthier lifestyle. - Sarita Velada, OPMT

2014-03-25 01:11

I am very concerned about the traffic congestion on Kamehameha Avenue right now. I would suggest that when the sports complex is completed and in use, the congestion could become as bad as the gridlock when the county fair/carnival is held in Kahului. Second, the County is doing a poor job on maintaining some of its parks right now. There is no reason to expect a better/consistent maintenance effort with an expansion of this Central Maui sports complex. Can you show us the committed budget for maintaining it? Will the maintenance budget be increased to accommodate the increased parks acreage or will something else be cut? If so, what will be cut?

2014-03-25 21:35

I like the idea of having the park available at a close distance. The only issues that concern me is the light pollution. I like going out and seeing the stars. I can see the Milky Way on very clear nights. Currently the Dune Golf course driving range can be seen as far away as Alu Street in Pukalani. I can also King K stadium from my house when it is lit. Can the lights be adjusted so that they will not be a hinderance to the houses nearby? Can we get a new playground built? The closest one we have is in Pukalani (Alu street), or Waikapu (between the houses), or the one over by the YMCA. It would nice to have one that is in central Maui, especially since Maui Lani plans to be huge and full of residential (new families).
AlohaNeil

#8 Central Maui "Sports Complex"

2014-03-26 22:41

My wife and I, along with numerous other residents of the Legends and Na Hoku here in Maui Lani are very concerned about the proposed building of a sports complex behind our homes in Maui Lani, under the guise of a regional park. This is not a park in any sense of the word. There isn't a single bench, pavilion, play structure, trail, or anything else normally attributed to a park included in this plan and as such it does not best serve the residents of Maui Lani, or all of central Maui, for that matter. This is a wolf in sheep's clothing!! Many of the residents here feel it will negatively impact the value of our homes.
Concerned resident, Maui Lani

#9 Disappointed with the builders' attitude

2014-04-01 20:55

There was no effort made to let the residents know that the proposed "park" in reality was a sports complex. The residents' input was not requested till the bids went out. This project has blatantly disregarded the residents' concerns. The residents are in favor of a park with jogging paths and picnic areas that can be used by the broader population as opposed to a very small percent of the population that will be using the sports complex. The property prices will DROP due to the noise, traffic and lighting. Indeed this is a very undemocratic way of using taxpayer funds.

#10 legends resident

2014-04-02 00:44

My wife and I agree that a park would be a great idea, walking trails, exercise trails, picnic area and at a distance from the housing
Incorporate the baseball and soccer fields.
Disappointed Na Hoku Resident

2014-04-02 05:19

When my husband and I first thought of buying in Na Hoku at Maui Lani we were happy to see the plans for a PARK, with visions of green open spaces, meandering paths for walking our dogs, even maybe a dog park, with some shade trees to sit and picnic under. A real park, and now we find that it will be a SPORTS COMPLEX, and NOT a park as advertised. I feel so sorry for the people who buy into the Traditions, hoping for a quiet family residential area, because they will be even worse off than we are. Please, PLEASE move the SPORTS COMPLEX further away from the housing, and let us have the green open space of a PARK as advertised. We will sleep better, with less noise, hopefully less traffic, and less light pollution to ruin our neighbourhood, and bring down property values. Thank you!

2014-04-02 05:26

I lived in Iao Parkside right along the outfield fence. Sure there are rules but rules that arent upheld mean nothing. Games would end and no one would turn off the lights. County workers stopped coming around and locking parking gates so players drank, argued, yelled, played music, broke bottles until 1 and 2 in the morning. Then workers start mowing the grass, using leaf blowers, and other noisy equipment as early as 6:45. That was just 1 field! How are you going to put this huge complex right against housing. PUT IT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD

2014-04-02 05:34

Less than half of school aged children play organized sports. Far less adults play organized sports. Cant we create a park that caters to a larger group? Creat half the field space on the far side of the park and place walking paths, playgrounds, etc in between. Softball and youth soccer run only a few months out of the year. What a waste of space for the rest of the year.

2014-04-07 10:04

I would hope that our leaders in government will listen to the long term concerns of the residents of Maui. Over development is not in the best interest of this island. Owners of the neighborhood homes were essentially lied to about the nature of this park and to this day prospective buyers of the New Traditions neighborhood are being told it will be a park which conjures up a different picture than what is happening. While new to the neighborhood and renting I must say that it is changing my mind about making this area my permanent home.
Sleepy

#15 Disturbance

2014-04-09 10:54

Would you want all that commotion in your backyard?
Anassazi

#16 Petitioned against Maui Sports Complex

2014-04-10 03:07

Please visit our Facebook Page for any updates. Https://m.facebook.com/MauiSportsComplex
The more people click like on the page the more we can get the exposures online and will increase ranking on Google page.

2014-04-11 00:56

A Park would be nice, but it seems that the ball fields could be set further back, away from the homes. The intersection at Kamehameha and Maui Lani needs to widened and a signal installed. There is also only one entrance / exit to this park, which is never a good idea. There should be another entrance, perhaps off of the highway. A lot of the community is in favor of another dog park also. And, I agree with the thought that some areas for other recreation, walking, jogging, picnicking, would be nice. I have seen how busy Keopuolani Park is, and this park appears to be bigger than that. Too many sports fields. Scale it down!

2014-04-15 17:52

Aside from the noise and traffic congestion, this proposed park will create an unforeseen breakdown in peace and order thereby resulting to higher crime rate. So, we hope that the brains behind this park put their acts together before our neighborhood leads to a serious disarray.

2014-04-15 18:27

There was no professionally conducted needs assessment of the adjacent neighborhood done before this complex was designed. The professional design work done on it would get an "F" if it were a university student project; e.g., parking space for over 600 cars but no seating for spectators and only 2 tiny bathrooms. I love sports for kids and I love parks..but place them on the lot that doesn't ruin our home values and make life in our homes unbearable.I won't vote for a politician who doesn't care about the needs of all of his/her constituents.
MLT

#20 Disappointed Maui Lani Resident

2014-04-23 13:16

I hope our leaders in government will listen to the residents of Maui Lani and rethink this entire project and go with a more passive park with walking trails, maybe tennis courts. This is a quiet community of residents that work hard and will suffer from the noise, lights and issues that come along from large gatherings of this type. Roving security will be needed to protect our neighborhoods.
With the economy as it is and housing crises going on we do not need to hamper the progress that is being made. We do not need property values going down which will cause short sales and foreclosures.
I am sure that there are other parcels of land on Maui that would work for this type of project, not next to our beautiful quiet community being only separated by a six foot chain link fence.
MEW

#21 Disappointed in our leadership and our association

2014-04-24 05:01

It is very disturbing to see that not only our state and county leadership is willing to sacrifice the well being, the property value (read tax revenue), and clean, wholesome family neighborhood for a sports complex of this magnitude. We bought in this neighborhood specifically for the quiet, low crime, small town atmosphere. With this sports complex we will be driven away from leisurely strolls at night, quiet gatherings with our neighbors, and more as we will be driven inside our home, closing of all our windows and shades, and forced to endure the noise, light pollution, drunken behavior, and increase in crime that this sports complex will bring. Add to that now the increase in electrical usage by having to artificially cooling our home because we have to close up our homes to avoid the noise. Is MECO quietly in the background rooting for this to help bolster their revenue? Makes one really question the driving factors behind this decision. As another poster commented, how is the maintenance to be funded? Consider this, our property values drop, so does your tax revenue... SAY NO TO THE SPORTS COMPLEX.

One must also ask, why would our association allow such a move? This sports complex will drive away homeowners, drive the prices of new homes down in sale value, and create even more traffic, graffitti, and other things that the association will have to pay for in maintenance and repair. Not to mention, if they were sold a bill of goods early on, (read a park) and that plan changed, where are they in protesting this? They ask us to tear down signs informing our neighborhood about the community meeting. My only guess is that thier lack of opposition must be due to some revenue they forsee from the county or an organization associated with this to bolster what they receive now from the residents. (Read KICK-BACKS!)

2014-04-25 20:21

We already get too much traffic of cars cutting through Maui Lani to get to school, with the Sports Park this will increase cars by the hundreds! Not safe for children playing in our neighborhood.