Help get permission for Conrad to own a therapy dog in Bellamont Gardens

2014-05-06 13:02

This is so unacceptable.

#2 Would they do the same with a blind person. disgusting

2014-05-06 13:34

#3 You knew the rules when you moved in.

2014-05-06 15:35

You knew the rules when you moved into the complex. Unfortunately rules are what govern our society and they cannot be changed purely because 1 person will benefit. I am sure you could, if you chose, find a complex or house that would allow a service dog.
Special Needs Mom

#4 Motivation Included?

2014-05-06 16:21

Did the applicant include motivations from the organisation that will be providing the dog and from the child's doctor/ therapists?

2014-05-06 16:44

if I am correct, A service dog is not allowed to be denied. A service dog has the same rights as a guide dog!

#6 Feel bad, but rules are rules

2014-05-06 16:45

Sorry, but as much as I feel bad for the child, I'm sure you're signed lease will acknowledge no pets are allowed. I doubt you were aware unaware of this when you moved in. Really sorry.
Special needs mom 2

2014-05-06 17:01

I feel the need to correct the person of comment # 6. A service dog is not a pet. It is a working dog, there to deliver a service to a special needs child.
E

#8 Re: Motivation Included?

2014-05-06 17:44

#4: Special Needs Mom - Motivation Included?

Hi special needs Mom, not only were motivations included but also supporting letter from psychologist and relevant Disability Act papers.

#9 Re: You knew the rules when you moved in.

2014-05-06 17:46

#3: - You knew the rules when you moved in.

The rules were not asked to be broken, an exception was asked to be made. Does our constitution not cover body corporate rules?

#10 Re:

2014-05-06 18:01

#5: -

The guide dog is trained by the Guide Dog Association of SA, so yes, is a trained working animal.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2014-05-06 18:04

#12 THE DISABILITY ACT

2014-05-06 18:17

In the INDS, the government identifies the following areas where action must be taken to meet the needs of people with disabilities by developing a barrier-free and integrated society:

• To enable people with disabilities to reach and maintain their optimal physical, sensory, intellectual, psychiatric and/or social functional levels
• To provide people with disabilities with tools to change their lives and give them a greater degree of independence
• To prevent secondary disabilities or reduce the extent of a disability
• To take into account the specific needs of different disability groupings
• To create a barrier-free society that accommodates the diversity of needs, and enables the entire population to move around the environment freely and unhindered.
Special needs mom 2

2014-05-06 18:20

So sad that only people with special needs children will understand the struggles they have and we try to cope with every single day of our lives, and then things like this to deal with on top of that. I am from Namibia, and going to face these same battles soon. As I am in the process of getting a service dog for my child with autism too. Number 6, why don't you just give the poor child and his mother a chance for one month before making up your mind? You do not have to change your rules! A service dog, guide dog, assistance dog is not the same as a pet! It is trained to make life easier for the person with the disability. What ever happened to giving chances and good deeds. Come on! Give the kid a chance x
Special Needs Mom

#14 Re: Re: Motivation Included?

2014-05-06 20:14

#8: - Re: Motivation Included?

Then its a very sad and frustrating result. They obviously ignored them then because SAGA would have been able to reassure the building managers that a service dog is trained not to make any noise or make a mess, not to be aggressive or a watch dog, and that an Autism Service Dog would most likely prevent and ease Autism-related meltdowns.

I hope it can be resolved for the family's sake.

2014-05-07 07:15

People are animals.

2014-05-08 14:08

Rules are rules? Wow.... I wonder what will happen when one day you or a family member are in the same boat? Perhaps if he was blind then you would be more open to the idea?
Compassionate

#17 What has happened to compassion in this world?

2014-05-09 19:50

I wonder what the other tenants of the complex would say? Do the tenants of the complex even know about this request & if they do, do they even understand the situation fully. Has the Body Corporate even gone as far as to find out how the other tenants might feel about allowing a working dog in the complex? Or are they just deciding that the rule book says this, so I am sorry we can't help you? Come on people, this is a little boy's life that can be made better. There should surely be exceptions that can be made to the rules!! A person life can change in an instant, in an instant you could be sitting in a position where you need a working dog to assist you or where you might need a rule to be change in order to assist you to make life a bit easier for yourself and your family. Are you going to accept Rules are Rules or you knew the Rules when you moved in? Lets try put ourselves into other peoples situations and try and understand and use compassion in our decision making and think before we open our mouths. There are tenants of complexes out there that would agree to exceptions if they were only asked and situations explained. Why must there be suffering of people due to ignorance of others? May this petition be blessed and may the request be granted.

2014-05-09 20:25

It is sad that Shelley has to petion for the right to help Conrad. I hope that this will make the people concerned to do the right thing and let this mother continue to do all that is possible to help her son grow up into a beautiful young man. From what I have observed through social media she is doing a brilliant job. The body corprate should walk in her shoes for a week then they might realise what a life with Autism is like.
Special needs mom 2

2014-05-09 23:52

Us special needs moms have to fight for the rights of our children. Others rights are just there! I have two typical children, and never had to battle for anything with them. It just comes naturally, like learning and life comes naturally for them. Then I have a little girl with Autism. You don't know the battles I had to fight already in her short four years of life! Just to be accepted, to also go to school like my other two children, just to have a fair chance at life like everyone else. If a service dog is going to help a child with autism cope better with the demands of this world, how can anyone even consider to through a hurdle and prevent the child from a very helpful coping need? A lot of countries have laws around service dogs, made to protect the rights of the people who need them. I hope this petition will go so far as to bringing those laws into South Africa and neighboring countries as well... We clearly need it. If people would just stop being so self centered and actually do themselves a favor and educate themselves, maybe this country will actually get somewhere. Autism rates are increasing at an alarming rate. What if one day autism happens to you, body corporate? Guess only then people will listen. We will fight for our children's rights, yes, even if those rights are out of the ordinary, your ordinary. I mean what's ordinary anyway?

2014-05-10 08:23

This for is an excellent cause. This puppy will not be a companion for Conrad but rather a way to improve life style. It is every childs right to be given a chance to a normal life. We as adults, no matter who we are have no right to deprive a child of a better life.

2014-05-10 13:51

My cats are my furkids, but the one is a healing cat. She has made the world of difference to my child. I know this could make the world of difference to Conrad and Shelley.

2014-05-10 14:06

I really think it is unfair to this little boy to deny him something that can really help him. Guide dogs are not rowdy animals and are quite dogs that listen. They do not bark and rump around and make a noise. This is a bunch or rubbish and discrimination..give this child what he needs!!!

2014-05-10 16:59

Conrad has a right to a Service Dog! I cannot believe that Bellamont Gardens is refusing this request. My guess is that someone is refusing this for personal reasons. A Service Dog is *not* a pet. Pet rules do not apply to Service Dogs.

2014-05-10 16:59

I am all for pet therapy no matter who they are dogs , dolfins ect all good. Good luck xx

#25 Re: You knew the rules when you moved in.

2014-05-10 17:01

#3: - You knew the rules when you moved in. 

A Service Dog is *not* a pet. Look it up!