No Liquor Store in Te Hana

/ #16

2016-04-08 07:29

In 2004 I was appointed to work for the Te Hana Community Development Charitable Trust in order to assist in uplifting Te Hana..My role there was a Kaitaataki o Rohe ( Community Liaison)The Trust and I put together a Community Outcome plan to improve the social cultural,environmental and economical well-being of Te Hana. The Community Outcome Plan had been produced in the light of the background of repeated threats in 2000,,2001 and 2004 from Public Health Authorities,Rodney District Council and NZ Police to evacuate and close down the community of Te Hana because of the unhealthy and potential dangerous living conditions of the local residents.Between 1990=2003 the town had a district wide reputation of having a
1} High resident Maori population
2}Alcohol and drug abuse
3} High unemployment.
4}Crime.
5}Vandalism
5 }Poor housing condition
6)Unsafe potable water and sewerage disposal. and a number of other issues. In 2004 Te Hana had a starring role on TV3's "Filth Files's a town water supply that was making residents sick.In 2001 a study group was set up with Northern RDC Councilors ,Mayor and interested locals to suggest possible solutions to the towns problems.No long term sustainable solutions were forthcoming at that time.
A number of meetings were held with community groups ,individuals'interested parties,Marae beneficiaries,local bodies,organisations in order to determine a positive way forward for the local community. I am totally against a Liquor store in Te Hana . To much work has gone into this community to have another problem arise again . We have already had a young mums life taken in Te Hana . Please please please no liquor store in Te Hana.