NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-27 19:37

I wish this could end already, we all would like for the fees to fall but lets face reality tertiary education will never b completely free... demands mus b more realistic and attainable... in the meanwhile majority students are losing out on lecture times and pending semester tests to qualify for exams, putting so much strain on us when varsity does open, we will be bombarded with tests and many will most probably burn out and not even make it thus losing a year of study, a year set back from graduating... this protest can be done peacefully without disrupting the educational system from nmmu to allow us access to a brighter future, demands like these does not succeed over a few weeks, their voices were heard and we all are in favour of the protest and the reasoning behind it but not the manner in which they doing it.  Let us all act mature about this and handle this situation as educated individuals, no one paid much attention to noise but valid reasoning.

Thats jus my opinion.

2016-09-27 19:38

Have children at UFS and Stell and feel that their right to an education which they ARE paying for themselves is being unconstitutionally jeopardised. This should be resolved but not at the expense of the students who are contributing to the financial stability of the university!

2016-09-27 19:43

Our kids have a right to education. Stopping them is unlawful. Strike but peacefully not preventing others,
Loki

#254 Nonsense

2016-09-27 19:45

I honestly cannot stand watching supposedly educated and bright young people behave like this. It is utterly unrealistic and senseless for these students to be protesting in this manner. They've become worse than the higher education system at infringing fellow student's right to education. 

2016-09-27 19:55

I want to be able to work and lecture my module at NMMU without intimidation and harassment.

2016-09-27 19:56

This is now getting out if hand. It's good to act on what you think is unjust but to destroy and vandalism is not democracy. Let those who want to study go to school and stay on the street and fight if you feel like but don't stand in front of other people democratic right ti study.

2016-09-27 19:56

I want to get back to my studies. I am returning to do my honours degree after many years. My parents worked very hard to educate me, they made many sacrifices, nothing came easy. There was no handout given. I promised my dad that when i get a job i will continue my studies and that is what i want to do. I have no problem with the students who are fighting for what they want, but please do not tramp on others to reach your goal. Nmmu management needs to take a stand against this. Stop sending us those pathetic sms saying that campus operations remain suspended. We dont want to hear that.

2016-09-27 19:58

Because I want to go and study. I pay for my classes and I have the right to go to lectures. I am graduating the end of the year. These people are playing with my future

2016-09-27 20:01

i do believe that the students that are causing problems are children that are too lazy to study and want everything for nothing. i pay my child's tuition and i don't squeel as it is the furture for my child and we don't ask anyone for money. we are middle class so we also need the university to bring their side. they need to deel with this handful of students and deal with them appropriately. hand these kids over to their parents and let their parents deal with them as they are wasting their parents money. they don't respect their parents for the hard work they have done for their kids, how selfish they are to their parents. they are disrespectful and need to be taught a lesson. thank you mr terry price for taking our children under your wing we appreciate it.

2016-09-27 20:02

My daughter's doing 4year CA accounting, and she's stressing over the exam

2016-09-27 20:04

these kids need to be dealt with and make them pay for all the damage that they have done and they need to work for what they want and it is not a right to get everything for nothing they must get up and look at themselves and act as adults and not spoilt children

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2016-09-27 20:05

2016-09-27 20:07

Because I believe that students who want to study and who have paid their fees should have the right to do so in a dafe environment and not be intimidated by an unruly destructive minority. What has happened to justice and democracy in RSA?

2016-09-27 20:13

It's the correct thing to do. My kids haven't even reached varsity yet and I cannot afford to send them to an overseas university in the future!

It does seem they will have to emigrate ,however.

2016-09-27 20:16

I have a daughter at NMMU that is being denied an education. I believe in the right to peaceful protest. I don't believe in intimidation violence thuggery or distruction of property

2016-09-27 20:16

My seun is n eerste jaar student (Meganiese Ingenieurswese)- ons betaal self vir hom sonder lenings en beurse. Ons maak opofferings Om hom hierdie geleentheid Te gee en ek weier dat iemand sy kans vir n suksesvolle toekoms van hom steel. Asseblief help ons Om Sy toekoms Te verseker

2016-09-27 20:17

The students are privileged to be at University and should behave in the appropriate manner. They are supposed to be our future leaders, I am very afraid for our beautiful country if this is the way they behave when they can't get what they want. If for some reason they are ever in power what will they do if thing don't go their way??? it is a pretty frightening thought

2016-09-27 20:22

Because I find it disgusting that the law is siding with violent protesters and failing to protect and uphold peaceful, law abiding citizens rights

2016-09-27 20:40

I have 2 girls at NMMU....cost me blood sweat and tears to pay for them....and now they sit at home !!!@????

#270 Re:

2016-09-27 20:47

#15: -  

Do not call then trash....

2016-09-27 20:52

We paid our fees and have a right to complete our studies!

2016-09-27 20:54

I cannot digest the unlawful, unruly behaviour of a group of students, intimidating fellow students that want to attend lectures. Do they then not too have rights. And then the willful damaging and destruction of property is totally unacceptable. To think these are the people that are going to be in some or other workplace in the near future leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wonder how many of these students, causing the havock, are really dedicated students that pass their academic year and really deserve a 'space' at the varsity?

2016-09-27 20:59

I need to apply for a duplicate diploma! I can't because university is shut! I also want to study next year, however it may be I want to further my education

2016-09-27 21:04

Thank you very much.
The right to study must not be infringed by any strikers.

2016-09-27 21:13

Because I am a student and a democrat and don't believe in the bullying tactics of these activists. It is fine to protest and take positions on all sorts of ideologies but not when you intimidate and take away the rights of others, in fact the very thing they are fighting for is the same thing they are denying others 'that of free education'.