please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz.

#76 this is a very valid point

2015-09-20 20:43

#71: -  

2015-09-20 20:43

It is cruel to miss treat and kill animals, especialy in Oz's case where his breed have a natural instinct to kill, and that we humans are well aware of. It is such a shame about the tragedy. Ive always had deep thoughts that these predaters from the wild will turn on you and that we humans should never trust these creatures, and leave them alone in their own habitat.

2015-09-20 20:44

I met this keeper earlier this year. She explained about the Cubs that had just come on show. She was lovely. But I'm sure she would not want OZ put down due to this tragic accident.

Because I believe in trying to save the species. It was a tragic accident. The keeper would not want him put down I am certain. Humans kill humans, often, either by accident it deliberately, and do not get to lose their life.
Sophie

It is a devastating loss and my heart goes out to all family and loved ones effected. However, the possibility of euthanasia as a 'consequence' of the attack is utterly absurd for multiple reasons. Tigers do not have any concept of responsibility or consequence, they are an animal. Secondly, it is in their nature to kill and even the idea of euthanising the animal because of its natural instinct is cruel, Oz did not choose to be placed inside a zoo and should not be punished because of the resulting consequences of putting a wild animal in a cage. Thirdly, Sumatran tigers are critically endangered with only 500 remaining in the wild. To put down one voluntarily because of its nature is again, cruel and could result in significant biological repercussions. Hamilton zoo policy also states that keepers do not enter into the enclosure with the Tigers, either this accident was due to a breach of protocol on the keepers behalf, or there was an escape (in the case of which I will stand corrected) which I find highly unlikely as there has been no mention of it in any report. Again, this is a tragic loss and all we can do is keep the friends and family in our thoughts, yet such a beautiful creature should not have to suffer capital punishment as a consequence. 

2015-09-20 20:45

He should not be punished for acting like a tiger!
Tiger Love

2015-09-20 20:46

Because it is the right thing to do. An eye for an eye make the whole world blind.  Tigers are unpredictable by nature. 

He was just being himself.

Oz is a wild animal and Tigers are the strongest of all the cat species. It is tragic but o am sure the curator who obviously loved the Tigers would not want Oz put down

2015-09-20 20:49

My condolences to the family
The woman that was attacked sounded like she loved the job she was in and it was just unfortunate what happened but the tiger does not deserve to be put down we take animals out of there environment and cage them it's not fair to punish what is in the animals nature.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

This beautiful tiger is a wild animal, he should NOT die because we decide to keep these beautiful animals in captivity!

Because it's not the tigers fault. I'm sorry she died and condolences to the zoo and her friends and family but she would not want this either. It's a wild animal and cannot be blamed for this. Also these tigers are in great danger of extinction

2015-09-20 20:50

So very sorry for the tragic death of Samantha, but Oz is after all a wild animal. Please don't put him down.

Killing the Tiger would be childish "revenge" on an animal doing what came naturally. Killing Oz is a truly senseless idea.

The tiger was doing what wild animals do. It's not a dog that has attacked.

2015-09-20 20:51

Oz does not deserve to die because humans desire to play God and keep wild animals in captivity

its not the tigers fault its only his natural instincts
he dosnt deserve to be put down hes probably tied of being a caged animal like anyone would if they were in a cage for that long

What happened to protecting tigers at all costs? Oz isn't aggressive, this was just a one-time occurence. How could he be put down if we went to all this trouble to get him to nz?

2015-09-20 20:52

We as humans have this tiger here in nz., caged for other humans to enjoy seeing and learning about, also saving the species and breeding programmes, I do not believe he should be put down, I think it should be looked at as to why he mauled the zoo keeper, and what was happening at that time, maybe she had miss read his mood, keeping in mind he is a wild animal , it is wrong for us to put him down

2015-09-20 20:53

Animals should not be in zoo s or water parks etc..his nature is to be top of food chain.. His keeper would have known the risk, they are not pets! To kill this animal would be disgusting showing the throw away sickness of society..I am sure the keeper would not want tiger put down..the keeper bless her soul, would have loved her animals and job.. It's not a job taken lightly..people still underestimate the power of our predator animals..takes a couple of seconds as human s are very fragile in comparison..this Animal is innocent and there would 100% have been a trigger

Please save OZ, condolences at the loss of his keeper.
However I'm sure she would not want him put down. He is a wild animal after all not a domesticated cat.

I feel very strongly about this. The tiger is doing what is natural for him. Why should he be punished for that. Also not his choice to be in captivity

2015-09-20 20:54

Don't put him down. ..set him free

2015-09-20 20:55

I believe the tiger has a right to live. It is a wild animal in an enclosure. It was in a situation where human error has been made. It's not a trained animal.
If we keep animals like this then there are risks involved. It is not the fault of the tiger.

It's devastating for the family and zoo at the loss of someone who clearly loved Oz. I am sure she would not want to see this majestic and endangered tiger put to sleep. Having a tiger at our zoo is a highlight for many people and so many of us make our way to the tiger enclosure to see this wonderful animal. It's no fault of Oz as he was only doing what he would do in the wild. Very very sad situation and my condolences to the family.